May 19, 2014

Cactus and succulents


Cactus and succulents are easy to care houseplants. They require little watering. And they are kinda hard to kill. Last month, I put together a planter. After seeing thisthis and this, I knew that I wanted a little garden of cactus and succulents.

It's springtime and the garden centers are opened at stores such as Lowe, Home Depot and Walmart. I bought more plants and searched high and low for the perfect planter. Initially, I wanted a glass container. Glass presented a problem because there would be no drainage hole. And I tend to kill my plants by overwatering. I couldn't find what I was look for. They were too small or too big. Lastly, I spotted this silver hammered bowl at Target in the kitchen section. Matt drilled 4 pea-sized holes at the bottom. Then I put river stones at the bottom. For soil, I used Mircale-Gro cactus, palm and citrus potting mix. The mix promised to feed the plants for 6 months. After which, I will begin monthly application of liquid houseplant food. For the first few days after potting, I kept them in the shade, away from direct sunlight. Now the plants are enjoying the sun on the balcony. I water the planter thoroughly when the soil is dry (every 2 weeks).

I had these 4 cactus plants in a little terracotta pot for about 7 years now. Matt got them for me when we were dating. I kept only 3 of the cactus because the tall one turned brown along the barrel.

Plants from Walmart.

Bits of cactus broke away from the main plant, so I stuck them in the soil. Hopefully, they will develop roots and thrive. You can do this to bits of succulents that break off too.

2 comments:

  1. DarylSchmidt5/30/2014

    You got all the plants at Walmart? I love it! I'm a plant killer by trade and don't have any outdoor space to have plants....do you have some recommendations?

    <3 Daryl

    Unlost

    New
    Post: What Does Success Mean To You?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would recommend cactus. You don't need to water it often (once or twice a month). It will need to be by a window that gets a lot of light. And I bring my cactus indoors during the winter and set a timer for my plant light. And I give them liquid fertilizer mixed with water monthly or bi-monthly.

    ReplyDelete